- Teacher training / awareness raising
- Class awareness raising interactive workshops (all years)
- Awareness raising assemblies
- Support in school to start a young carers group
- Template for young carer policies
- Best Practice guidelines for working with and supporting young carers
- Support for Young Carer Coordinators – termly meetings with other Young Carer Coordinators and in school support
School staff have a key role in identifying and supporting young carers. To meet the needs of young carers in school, it is vital that all school staff understand why young carers need support to enjoy and achieve at school, and the simple things they can do to raise the attendance, attainment and wellbeing of these pupils as part of their wider roles within the school.
Capital Carers, along with Edinburgh Young Carers and Space offer a bespoke package of support to schools in Edinburgh. Contact Shona to find out more about the variety of free training options available for your school.
Supporting Young Carers in Schools – Good Practice Guidelines
The guidelines have been created in collaboration with professionals from the City of Edinburgh Council and an amazing group of very enthusiastic young carers. Their education experiences shaped the guidelines, and we have included all of their feedback. We hope that you find the guidance helpful and the quotes impactful to help you develop long-term, sustainable approaches to supporting young carers in your school.Download Good Practice Guidlines for Schools